View Single Post
Old 12-08-2009, 01:59 PM
Lacelady
Power Poster

Originally Posted by sandpat
I got all my cardboard cut out today along with the gusset template. Just to make sure Lesley, the 5" measurement on the gusset is the actual side on an angle and not down the center...correct??

So far...I have only a messy room, so the only blame you get so far is that you made it too darn tempting not to try to make one!
Patti, I just dug out my template and remeasured, it actually measures 4 7/8th inches down the side, but 5 inches will do fine - any excess gets hidden under the box base. Down the centre, it measures 4 5/8th inches. Don't cut them any larger, like you might a patch, i.e. with allowances, they don't need them, and don't forget to place the fold on the top, as that will be on show when the box falls open. The raw side edges get trapped between the box outer sides and box linings.

If you glue two gussets to alternate sides, you can use your clothes pegs to help them stick, and straight pins to help nearer the base of the box. Once those three sides have their gussets attached and dry, then tackle the other three alternate sides. This time you can only use pegs at the top corners, and you need to use straight pins along the sides, pushed into the card to achieve good adhesion.