Old 12-13-2013, 01:57 AM
Rhonda
Power Poster

Default Rhonda's 2nd Boston Block Hotpad Class - 2nd Quilt Block - 4 x 4

Well we've discussed colors and fabrics and how to make my shortcut methods Boston Blocks and HSTs. We've made a hotpad using my 6 x 6 grid. So now we are going to look at the second quilt block I posted a pic of in the first lesson.

This quilt block uses a 4 x 4 grid or 4 rows of 4 blocks (units) per row. This quilt block will use 16 "blocks". It has 4 center Bostons and 8 blue and white Bostons and 4 white squares.

Refer to the last lessons for the directions to make the Bostons for this quilt block.

I used a 2 1/2" template for these and the quilt block comes out 8 1/2". I didn't add any borders since it is the size I am aiming for.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]451536[/ATTACH]...... [ATTACH=CONFIG]451537[/ATTACH]

In the last quilt block lessons I showed you how to join blocks together the way I like to do it.
With a 4 x 4 there are two ways to join the blocks together.

Most people join blocks(units) in rows. But I think you can avoid alot of distortion by sewing them into 4 patches first and then joining 4 patches together.

This is my prefered way of doing it. You can see if things aren't lined up right and can catch anything that might need to be tweaked to make it straight. Also you can measure each step to make sure you are getting square units.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]451538[/ATTACH].... [ATTACH=CONFIG]451539[/ATTACH]

Once you have the 4 patches sewn then sew them together into the quilt top.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]451540[/ATTACH]

Here is another way I have gone about sewing the "Blocks" together.

You can sew the center 4 Bostons together and then the Bostons on each side of the center.
Once you have those sewn then you can add the joined 2 patches on the left and rt sides of the center to the center 4 patch. Add the squares on the corners to the other two 2 patches. Then join the top row and the bottom row to the center section.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]451541[/ATTACH].... [ATTACH=CONFIG]451542[/ATTACH]

These are just some suggestions for those who are not sure how best to join the Blocks.
Remember to keep in mind the precautions along the way. To keep your points make sure the corners of your Bostons where the 2 fabrics come to the corner are even on each side of the seam. This will help to make everything meet up as they should. It isn't hard just a bit of checking before you sew them will keep them straight.

Here is my finished hotpad. It isn't perfect by any means. I dont' like to do binding but you certainly can do that instead of the birthing I prefer.

I scanned it to get a better view of the colors. My lighting isn't very good so my camera pics aren't as clear. This hotpad is 8" x 8" finished.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]451543[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails block-.jpg   layout-300.jpg   1.jpg   2.jpg   5.jpg  

3.jpg   4.jpg   6.jpg