View Single Post
Old 12-14-2013, 05:55 AM
ThayerRags

I should have mentioned that I only use V92 or B92 (Tex90) thread on my patchers, mostly the small 4oz cones, so my can/boot thread holder works great for them. I use an 8oz cone on my home patcher from time to time, and it works just fine too, but it’s the one with the boot turned inside out, so I’m not sure how it would pay-out of my other boot. Your cone looks like the 8oz size in the photo. I use the small cones for a couple of reasons. I have the need for as many colors as I can find (of the UV-resistant variety) due to most of my sewing being repair work, and I move the cones from one machine to the other and have new cones in reserve until a cone is used up. My reserve furnishes thread for two locations, my home and my shop downtown.

I bought four of those stools at an auction. They had been used in a home for seating at a kitchen counter. I suppose that the room décor on either side of the counter dictated the color choices. Two of them had black vinyl tops, and two of them had the green and white fabric tops. I latched onto the two fabric-covered stools for my treadles, and the wife got the other two for seating at her cutting table in the shop. All four of them have black vinyl tops now. Since I have caster trolleys under both patchers, I needed stools without wheels so I could stay in one place while I sewed. I use caster chairs for nearly all of my other seating around in my work areas, and I’m constantly finding myself trying to roll these stools without any luck. They push back!

I have two different designs of threading wires for my patchers. One has a barb machine-pinched into the side of the wire near the end, and the other has a fork in the end to catch the thread. I like the forked one the best. I think one would be easy enough to make, by simply hammer-flattening the end of a piece of wire, then putting a notch in the end with a small chisel. Keep it small and dress it down with a small file, so it doesn’t damage the spring that it slides by inside of the cylinder.

CD in Oklahoma