View Single Post
Old 12-14-2013, 06:17 AM
ThayerRags

Originally Posted by Vridar View Post
.....My head was bolted to the base with 3 flat headed slotted bolts (screws) and one round headed. The round headed looked original, the three flat heads were shiny indicating not original. ....It appears to be a 1/4 inch 3/4 inch long bolt with a standard medium thread.

I doubt that they will be standard thread, unless someone has forced a standard screw in and buggered the threads. One thing that you will discover from working on sewing machines, especially Singers, is that very seldom will you find anything “standard medium thread”, or any other “standard thread” that we have today. Most things will be a “Singer thread” of which there are many. Part of Singer’s strategy was to use proprietary fasteners so that others wouldn’t have access to them without getting them from Singer. Some of the overall sizes are common, but the TPI and thread pitch will be Singer.

One of my patchers came to me with the head and stand separate. I discovered that they had never ever been connected. The screws that fit in the head wouldn’t fit through the holes in the treadle, so I had to ream them out. I found my screws in my junk parts cookie tins. When I first started messing with sewing machines, I bought 2 or 3 large boxes of SM parts at that online auction place and put them in large metal cookie cans. When I need a screw, I dig through my cookie cans to see if I can find what I need. They’ve bailed me out several times. I don’t know, nor have any way of finding out, what TPI and pitch my screws have.

CD in Oklahoma
Attached Thumbnails machine140_12.jpg