Old 12-14-2013, 10:54 AM
cricket_iscute

Default Volume of your stash when you cut squares, strips, etc?

What happens to the volume of your stash when you cut squares, strips, triangles, etc., to be used in scrap or planned quilts? Do you need less room to store it? How much less? And in what containers do you store it? How does that work for you?

Does it save you a lot of time when getting ready to start a new quilt?

I get donations of fabric to use to make quilts for homeless families; after 19 years of doing this, people know just who will make good use of their donations. As appreciative as I am, it causes storage problems. I have virtually no room left in this small house. I'm thinking of taking a good bit of that fabric and cutting it into strips and squares, probably mostly in 2.5 strips and squares, 4.5 strips and squares, and 5.0 strips and squares. These are good sizes for Nickel quilts and Jelly Rolls patterns. Long strips of 6.5 width are also good for fast "strippee" quilts. Of course, many other patterns can be made from these. I might add 12.5 or 10.5 hand cut squares to the mix to use as QAYG backings for string quilts (the strings are ready now).

I recently bought an Accuquilt Go. It is fast and wonderful to use so far. I'm thinking of turning a lot of fabric into pre-cut pieces in the near future. In your experience, would that be easier to store and require less room? Would you think those Super Satchel boxes would make good storage? Do you think the sizes I've chosen so far are good sizes, or do you know of something better for fast quilts? Any tips or suggestions?

Thanks,
Cricket