Old 12-14-2013, 11:05 PM
cricket_iscute

I sympathize with you. I have this machine and I call mine "Mrs. Fussy Pfaff". That should tell you something. Normally, with most machines, I would say this is a top tension problem or you are not holding thread tails or taking small stitches to start quilting. But this machine is temperamental. When everything is set up just so, it does great and I prefer it, especially for binding. When it's bad, it is beyond aggravating.

Are you making a bobbin by threading as usual, then taking the thread, still in the needle, up to the bobbin making area and winding somewhat slowly? That's a biggie with this machine. Another thing, as you probably know, is that if there is any lint or even a small, almost invisible bit of thread, the machine balks - although usually it will make a nasty noise when doing so. I had one such bit of thread once and it took hours to get it out; finally, I turned the machine upside down and wiggled the hand wheel and it came out.

Is the bobbin setting in the bobbin casing as it shows in the manual?

I have found this machine will handle many threads my other machines will not, so I'm not suggesting a thread issue. I use either the top spool pin or a cone thread holder. However, what thread are you using? The lower quality threads tend to shred in this machine, especially Coats and Clark.

A topstitch needle might help.

Try changing your needle.

This machine is the fussiest machine to set up of any machine I've ever used, but nice when it's happy. Go through one thing at a time, test one thing at a time, and return to the previous setting if that wasn't it. Knowing this machine as I do, it will be something very small and you will probably need the manual to figure it out. Because I've had so much experience on this machine, my guess is that it is the machine and not what you are doing. (However, you do need to bring your thread tails up - both of them - and hold them for the first four stitches.) It just needs exactly what it needs. Very fussy critter, this Pfaff! It's very unforgiving. If it weren't for that great feed system and the attached walking foot, it would have been long gone from my sewing room.

Cricket

Last edited by cricket_iscute; 12-14-2013 at 11:18 PM.