Old 12-14-2013, 11:28 PM
justflyingin

Originally Posted by dunster View Post
If your stash consists of unevenly shaped scraps, then you might be able to reduce the volume by cutting it into the sizes you use. The reduction would be because some of the fabric would be (presumably) thrown out, being too small to make into one of the desired sizes. However, cutting yardage into strips and squares does not reduce the stash and may actually increase the storage required, especially if you want to keep it organized (by size, color, type of fabric, etc.) The one big advantage to cutting it up is that you have pieces all ready to sew. If you typically use the same cuts over and over, that can be a time savings later on, but you may also find that you want to make a particular pattern that calls for a different size strip or piece that you didn't cut.

I keep all my yardage in pieces that are as big as possible.
My thoughts exactly. I've cut all my small leftovers into strips and sometimes squares, but mostly I keep my fat quarters or large-enough-to-cut-something-out-of in plastic boxes based on color. My strips, I have to admit, are thrown into large 120 liter clear plastic bags. I have to dig when I want something from there. I have 2 bags filled with 2.5" strips, one with 2" strips and one with 1.5" strips.