Old 12-14-2013, 11:48 PM
svenskaflicka1

christmas was always family time for us. christmas eve meant we would get together with all of the relatives who were available. sometimes it was with my dad's side of the family, sometimes, my mom's--and my favorite times were the ones when folks from both sides were able to get there. i remember meeting my grandma and grandpa, my aunt and uncle at the train station downtown minneapolis--the smell of wet wool coats, the diesel and steam coming from the trains, the snow on the ground, and the joy of seeing the folks coming down from the train, walking down that center access area, up to the wrought iron gates. they were the epitome of wonderful--they came all the way from washington, d.c., where they all lived and worked, from the war times straight through most of my childhood. i can remember the smell of talc and perfume mixed with the stiff netting on my grandma and aunt's hats; the scent of pipe tobacco and aftershave on my grandpa and uncle. these people dressed so neatly and professionally were certainly a far cry from my tool and die maker/machinist dad, and stay at home mom, but there was so much love in all of it that it was nothing but joy for all of us. there was room switching, couch sleeping, bathroom queues, but mostly there were hugs, laughter, and warmth, no matter how cold it was outside. i was blessed to have a close, loving family--and it still carries on. it's all about the family, the love we share, and the presence of God in our lives that keeps it so...