View Single Post
Old 12-15-2013, 07:20 AM
TnBecky

I HATE Florescent lighting & I do mean I HATE them. I worked under them for years, colors are never true & yes they cause headaches. I have quit a hoard of the old fashion light bulbs. I have seen to many bad reports on the CFL's about the mercury in them & no the incandesent bulbs do not contain mercury. Now how can that be better for the enviroment??? If you break one you are supposed to double bag it & take it toxic dumpster. How many people are going to do this, none. They willl just toss them in the garbage & then into a landfill they go along with the mercury seeping into the ground. You will never convince me these are better in any way. If you like them you can have them. Personally I don't like being told by the goverment what I have to use, especially when the ones they are peddeling are more dangerouse for the earth. Okay time to get off my soap box. Here is how you have to clean up a CFL if you break it, do you really want to take any chances with mercury???

One of the most potent threats to CFLs' superiority isn't their cost, but their contents. There's a small amount of toxic mercury in every one, which can be absorbed or inhaled, potentially causing brain damage in adults, children and especially in fetuses. Fumble a CFL while changing a light, critics warn, and you unleash a poisonous fiend in your home. Throw it out and you're dumping mercury in landfills.

Those are both valid concerns. You should be careful when cleaning up a broken CFL, but don't go nuts — Snopes has debunked the myth that breaking one requires calling in an environmental cleanup crew. Keep kids and pets away, open the windows and resist the urge to vacuum, since that can kick up mercury vapor into the air; see the EPA's advice on cleaning up broken fluorescent lights for a complete guide. When they do eventually burn out, make sure to dispose of them properly. Enough Said.