Old 12-17-2013, 07:45 AM
Jratcliff

Originally Posted by Jratcliff View Post
I have a Brother Quattro, 6000D machine which I absolutely love.
One problem -
I have a birds nest building up in the bobbin and I don't know why.
I asked at the quilt shop and the lady said when it is underneath, it's a top thread situation. When it's on top it's a bobbin thread issue. So, with the birds nest it has to be upper thread. She suggested I may not be threading the machine correctly, however it only happens on rare occasion, and my machine tells me if it's threaded incorrectly.
She also said when the machine is running, the thread can pop out of the take up lever. OK, makes sense.
I thread and rethread the machine, pull the thread from both sides to make sure it is seated in the tension disks, thread the needle correctly, and still it happens.
It doesn't happen everytime I sew. I have been trying to make little stocking ornaments, and both times it has nested during the final satin stitch on the border.
I was working on a star on organza and it did it during the satin stitch on the star edges.
I've done gift tags and cards and it doesn't happen, but then no satin stitch.
I was working on a quilt in the hoop and it did it's nasty deed while doing a stipple stitch.

I am getting so frustrated since I'm going to be starting a big project in a couple weeks, and I am quite concerned about ruining blocks.

Any ideas, anybody?
I am working on posting pictures.
I now realize it's been a whole year since I posted these pics and my problems. I have learned so much during the year and thought I would share my solution to the birds nest problem just in case anyone checks this chat at any time. I finally learned that the birds nests happen when I don't have my bobbins wound correctly. It is a must to start with the thread going through the little hole at the top of the bobbin. Also, I have to hold on to the thread while the bobbin starts winding. It curls tightly and is trimmed as closely to the bobbin as possible before using it in the machine On occasion, the beginning of the thread will peak out from under the layers wound. If that happens, I cannot use the bobbin as that seems to be when the bird builds it's nest. I also check the bobbin assembly and the thread cutter for any little stray pieces Keeping those two areas pristine is essential to eliminate a lot of the nesting and tension issues. Hopes this makes sense and will help anybody out there struggling with their machine.