View Single Post
Old 12-17-2013, 09:55 AM
Stitch124

Default Retirement questions....

I'm seriously wanting to retire. My DH is retired and draws SS monthly and works part time, although he wants to go full-time. I don't want him to go full-time unless he knows he's going to be working steadily with no layoff, and if not, then I'm definitely going to retire. I've been supporting him since we married - 10 yrs ago. I'm tired and I need to de-stress.

I've got a substantial 401K and a pension plan with my employer, and I save each payday to my 401K, and my medical coverage will come with retirement plan. DH also has a pension and 401K but cannot draw on it until he is 65. He's 63 now.

Just wondering if there is a way to predetermine if retirement is feasible? What questions to ask, how do you know you can live on whats coming in? I won't be able to start drawing SS for 2 more years, but I just don't think I can hang in there for another 9 yrs until I'm 70. Ugh!

People my age at work are retiring left and right. Everyone asks me when I'm going to retire and I always say ' when they pay me to leave.'

How do you know: #1 it is something you can afford to do, #2 when do you 'know' it's the right time?

Last edited by Stitch124; 12-17-2013 at 10:07 AM.