View Single Post
Old 12-17-2013, 10:58 PM
cricket_iscute

It's interesting that I just found this thread after spending 8 hours trying to organize my sewing room today. I got disgusted with it. I can't really say it looks that much better, either. Lots of little stuff is out: thread, fabric donations I recently received, a friend's project, books, projects underway, UFOs, projects that are queued for cutting, piecing, needing a back, or quilting, needing a binding, etc. The biggest thing in the way is donated fabric, and I spent hours cutting some on the Accuquilt GO hoping it will take up less space and be easier to use. I make quilts for homeless families and people know that and give me fabric. I haven't done as much sewing lately as usual due to health challenges. I'm not using fabric up as fast as usual.

Hoarding? No, I use the fabric and give away quilts. It's inventory. It's just that I have too small of a house and very limited storage space, and this feels very cluttered. I do have my own fabric also, plenty of it. I bought it while I was working a job that always needed overtime, and there went my sewing time. Now I have the time.

I haven't purchased any fabric to speak of for a year or more, and before that, didn't buy much for years. One exception is fabric for a specific project. I don't collect anything else, like a hoarder might. Despite the current mess, I am usually reasonably well organized. I do give away fabric to others who are doing local charity work. You can walk through my house. I know where everything is.

I think that the storage space is just too limited for the space the charity quilting requires. I don't think it's hoarding, but the sheer volume of it makes it feel like it might be. Does that make sense?

Last edited by cricket_iscute; 12-17-2013 at 11:02 PM.