View Single Post
Old 12-18-2013, 02:16 PM
Cecilia S.

I Fail! I fail French Polishing 101.

I am not sure where I went wrong, exactly. I think perhaps I used too much linseed, for some parts (such as the bobbin winder, also around the serial number) are just sticky, regardless of having used naptha to clean it.

Shall I just clean it again with naptha?

Also, I put a coat of boot wax on it and it looked cruddy, so I naptha'd it again and am back to it being clean, but dull.

There are streaks in it; mind you, this is Just Post Naptha, and I know it can look white in spots prior to waxing; however, will these streaks be okay? Should I do another round of French polish and try to correct my sloppiness?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]452321[/ATTACH]

Mechanically, I am giving myself an A-, for he is smooth and clean, whistle clean! I successfully obtained an original hand crank, miraculously in the same decals, even! I cleaned and re-conditioned it, and Vinnie is happy to be cranky. I am still working on the upper tension (I may have the wrong spring... I don't really know!) but I was very pleased when I actually wound a bobbin this afternoon!

I give myself a B+ for Gold Pen Usage. I found a permanent gold paint pen and repaired a few spots on the decals, including the S on Singer in the pin-rash area (see previous photo) and also these wee flowers on the bobbin winder belt guard area:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]452322[/ATTACH]

So, there it is, for now. I also am showing a photo of the upper tension spring. I really am quite sure it is the wrong kind... it is just not making sense to me. All input is most welcome. I still don't exactly have my wings yet, and I do not mind being told what to do! Am I just doing something dead-wrong? I know the threading is incorrect; but the spring itself seems useless in terms of catching the thread in any meaningful way.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]452323[/ATTACH]

Also I coloured in those gold dots above the tension area, for they were worn. Woo hoo! I coloured dots! ;-)
Attached Thumbnails img_6636.jpg   img_6637.jpg   img_6635.jpg