View Single Post
Old 12-19-2013, 06:44 AM
maviskw

Originally Posted by dunster
Well, yes, some of us probably are hoarders, but not everyone with a large stash is a hoarder. If the stash interferes with the rest of your life, rather than enhancing it, then it's a problem. If the stash takes up space that is needed for other basic things, such as eating, cooking, bathing, sleeping, then it's a problem. If we spend money for fabric when it's needed for things like rent, food, or health care, then it's a problem. But if we just have more fabric than we can possibly use in our lifetime... well, it's not as bad as Imelda's shoe collection, is it?]

I like Dunster's definition. I just want to say, I need to keep things together that belong to one quilt if I'm going to set it aside for a while. I try to put all the pieces AND fabrics needed for it; AND THE PATTERN, or at least notes as to how it should be used; into a clear plastic bag. But I don't seal the bag, leave some breathing space. (This also helps me remember what was going on when I get it out in the future.)

I have told my children what they should do with it, so I feel better about it. I also think about this whenever I put something away. Life will be much easier for them this way. I have cleaned up too many houses of accumulated stuff, so I know how frustrating that can be.