View Single Post
Old 12-20-2013, 11:49 AM
mpeters1200

Default New Machine Advice

I should preface this by saying that I am a Vintage Sewing Machine owner. I have 3. I have a newly restored featherweight that I piece on, a Model 66-16 I quilt on and do anything that involves a walking foot, hot pads, oven mitts, yada yada yada.

Well, recently I had a Singer 1425 follow me home and it's really not the machine for me. It's going to need quite a bit of work I'm afraid.

I wasn't in the market for a new machine. My little Janome is 10 years old and after a couple major breaks, is not going to be worth fixing compared to replacing her. I casually mentioned to hubby I no longer have a machine that does zig zag or blanket stitch or anything.

I believe "Santa and his elves", my darling hubby and my 3 little boys were looking at a Singer 5540. I've read the reviews and it seems the people who really like it, LOVED it and the people who had problems with it HATED it. I do not want embroidery or machine quilting or anything like that. The only thing I would use this machine for is applique or some decorative stitching on finished tops, no quilting.

What do you guys think? I cannot turn down a sewing machine, but don't want to get a junk one either.

Thanks in advance.

Melissa