View Single Post
Old 12-20-2013, 02:46 PM
feline fanatic
Power Poster

Welcome to the board. Another consideration between a 26" and a 22" is your reach. My reach is such that I really don't utilize all the space in my 26" throat. I have no regrets having the bigger machine but I find I tend to not use all that space simply because I don't have the control I want when I am quilting so far from me and I also have to stand on my tip toes when I have the machine head all the way to the back portion of quilting space when working from the front. I do most of my heavy custom stuff in an area equivilent to the quilting space of 22". So I suspect had I gotten the 22" I would not notice much difference. Dunster is correct the configuration of the Innova and frame with the deadbar and the take up roller high up is that you don't lose any quilting space as the quilt is rolled up. Or maybe I should say, I certainly don't notice if I do and I have done some quilts that are over 110" long with double bats. You have more than ample room to quilt a queen, even a king with the 22" on a 12' frame. I have the 10' frame and I can't load anything wider than 100" and even then, I am not comfortable because there is very little room on the sides for putting side clamps, testing tension and changing bobbins. I was limited by room space so had to settle on 10'. I would be very happy if I had 12'
The Innova frame is deep enough to accomodate the throat of the machine you have. You only need as much quilt exposed as you are capable of quilting. A 22" will be ample but if you are really torn and can afford the upgrade, go to the 26". It is my motto that it is better to have it and not need it then to need it and not have it. If you go to ABM Innova website, I believe they have the dimensions.

When quilting smaller quilts I always line up in the center, it is just the way I do it. I suppose you could load the quilt to one side but my leaders are already marked with center points so I know by lining up on those everything will always be loaded nice and square and I can get even side tension by loading in the center. I really don't understand why you would want to load to one side. What is the advantage to that?

Other information... I have been a VERY happy Innova owner since 2010. My machine has done everything I have asked of it so far and I hope the trend continues. ABM customer service is indeed 24/7/365. Michael, one of the owners or one of the techs will always call you back and have un-ending patience in walking you through any procedure on the phone. I had an issue last year during Christmas holidays and they called me back. I believe it was the 23rd or it was Christmas eve day, but if it had been the 25th, I bet someone would call. However, I feel the holidays are a time for family and I would not dream of testing it on a holiday. I would resent the intrusion so I would never intrude on someone else.
I feel the Innova is the best bang for the buck in the LA market. I am probably biased because Innova is what I have but I can honestly say I am a happy owner and I have zero regrets making this investment. I would do it again in a heartbeat and if I ever upgrade I would definitely go with Innova or upgrade my existing machine with lightening stitch.