Old 03-13-2007, 09:38 AM
Carla P

Call me odd, but the # 13 has never freightened me, & today is the 13th, so if you don't mind, I'd like to join the list. I have been reading the forum since day 1, I just don't post much. (I usually read from my desk during lunch or a quick break.) I love the way y'all worked out the "picking order"! Great team work!! I have a question I didn't see addressed . (BTW, shorter threads are a good idea!!!) I know the skill levels vary quite a bit for the members of this forum, so my question is... Are there any techniques or skill level we should avoid or, by contrary we should tackle to help share expertise and encourage skill advancement? (the latter has my vote.) I have found over the years, I tend to avoid learning new techniques until I absolutely HAVE to, which is usually when I've bought all of the fabric for a super-king size quilt & feel QUITE obligated to see it through. For example, I learned the curves of a double-wedding-ring after purchasing a zillion fat quarters, the precision of paper-pieced New York Beauties by (basicly) paying the light bill for my local quilt shop in exchange for a half yard of EACH batik in the building, and applique by, yep, you guessed it... Baltimore Album- I loved the idea of brights on black, so I bought the entire bolt... just in case she didn't order more. Yes, I admit freely, I am a fabriholic. But my logical explaination is... #1- I work to support my habit; #2- I am investing fabric into my stash bank for retirement. (I have actually instructed my husband where it is to go if I die before I can use it all, although I guess I could put it in my Will- so it doesn't end up in a yard sale or worse... as dusting or oil rags!!) Ok, I'm off topic. My original point is, some of us, either through such little spare time, lack of someone experienced enough to help us learn, or whatever reason, sometimes need a push. However, I'm ok with keeping it simple if y'all prefer it that way. Majority Rules! Oh, & I'm sorry I got so long-winded. :oops: