View Single Post
Old 12-21-2013, 12:41 PM
jcrow

Location: Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho
Default Pictures of Deaf grandmother's quilt

My mother died in 1979 and my father put her favorite belongings in a trunk. I loaned it to my older brother for quite a while and got it back a while back. I just found this in the bottom of the trunk. I know my mom didn't quilt, so it has to be her mother's. Her mom was a deaf mute who in her 40s scratched her arm on wire fencing on their farm and it became infected and she had a temperature of 108 degrees. They put her in an insane asylum for the rest of her life. I remember being little and going to see her with my mom. So she made this quilt when she was younger because she worked hard on the farm and I'm sure she didn't have the time to quilt. She went to a deaf boarding school and could have made it there. It's in excellent condition. Nothing is faded. It's been folded for years. I am going to roll it up. I think it's unusual to have just solid colors. Light and dark pink, white and a very pretty green. It's hand sewn and hand quilted. What a find!! It's so big I couldn't put the whole quilt in one picture. I don't know what the design is, but I would like to make it myself. Anyone know the design?
Attached Thumbnails image.jpg   image.jpg   image.jpg  

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 12-21-2013 at 01:40 PM. Reason: added previous verbiage from unsuccessful thread