View Single Post
Old 12-22-2013, 10:10 AM
ArchaicArcane

Originally Posted by vmaniqui View Post
Hmm. Might be a good idea to just take the foot pedal route.
One does not have to negate the other. As you saw, all of the connections are screwed on, nothing is permanent. You could do the foot controller, and work on sourcing the knee lever parts as time goes by. Then the foot controller can just go to another Singer, or... use it as a testing one for all the other machines you'll work on.

Originally Posted by amcatanzaro View Post
I have to read the assemblers guide here (hahahahaha) soon. I just figured out there are wicks in there, but I don't know where (in the grease pots?).

I, uh, don't like the wiring. It's ok and not crumbling but I would really like it updated. That and the light doesn't work at all. The new bulb fired a few times but I could never get it to turn to hold the bulb in. Then I broke the filament so I need to acquire another one.

Learning learning learning.
Correct, the wicks are inside little metal holders inside the grease pots. I don't think that Rain went through the rebuilding of the light at the time, but once you've done the motor, it's a cake walk.

He goes through soldering, tools and everything in that (those) post(s).

Originally Posted by amcatanzaro View Post
Did I mention I don't know how to do squat with the electrical stuff and I'm completely learning as I go? Yeah. This is the 5th machine I've worked on and the first with any of this going on.

Frustated but but learning learning learning. And i
like it when it goes right.
It's extremely rewarding when it does go right. I had done wiring before, mostly on vehicles, but I wouldn't say it's much harder from scratch, not with his tutorial. That first motor was nerve wracking though. The first 2 cuts of the wire, because there was no going back from there. After that, I just had to work slowly through the tutorials. We all start somewhere. You'll feel so good when it's up and running at the speed it should be.

Originally Posted by miriam View Post
... the motor was locked up and when we pulled it the wiring fell apart - not something we can repair very easily. At this point I got a newly made belt guard and I'll have to see how it goes getting that put on along with an external motor. I have a lot of other things on the to do list right now though.
If the wire came right apart at the joint to the coils, it's really hard to repair, is that where it was? As long as you have about 1.5" of a tail sticking out, it should be doable. I'm 99% sure that an eternal motor conversion would work. I've thought about going the other way with my 15-90 Centennial, but I only have one potted motor in the house at the moment, and the 201 runs so nicely with it.