Thread: rotary blades
View Single Post
Old 12-09-2009, 11:42 AM
Tiffany

Originally Posted by BellaBoo
The older rotary blade sharpeners don't work that great but new one is getting rave reviews. It's the Orbital Rotary Cutter Sharpener. http://www.usasharpeners.com/
That's the one I saw. I've bookmarked it. Thanks!

Originally Posted by Elisabrat
Wouldnt that be lovely? I seem to get a dull blade after one quilt.. is that average? I found ebay had some pretty good deals for packages but a 40% off coupon from Joanns works pretty well too. I just hate to run out when you need one, cant afford to buy them often either. Mine is skipping right now and I am trying to hold on for just a couple more weeks (guess what I asked Santa for?)
No, I don't think that is normal, unless you are making a large quilt with a lot of intricate pieces. I can usually get a few quilts done with the blade before flipping it over and extending the life for another quilt or two. Are you pushing down too hard? Sometimes, especially if the cutting mat has a lot of cuts in it, it will dull the blade faster. If your cutting mat is worn out and you don't want to buy a new one (money's tight around the holidays!) then just flip it over and use the back. Works great and you get twice the life out of your cutting mat, which I happen to love.