View Single Post
Old 12-23-2013, 04:36 AM
ThayerRags

Originally Posted by miriam View Post
CD, I wondered about using a rubber belt on the wheel - it sure would have to be a close fit.

A rubber belt may work, I haven’t tried one to see how snug it might fit. This fix is working, and with the wheel hub being off-center and womping (is that a word?) around like a lump on a car tire, I’ll probably have to hold pressure on the BW manually anyway.

I have a strap cutter down at the shop somewhere that I think I can find. I think I’ll use this cobbled up strap for while to make sure it continues to work, and if so, use the strap cutter to cut a second leather strap that is more uniform to replace it. I cut this one in my bikeshop with a large pair of shears, and I didn’t get it cut very straight. I can counter-sink the nail clip into the leather, and dye the leather to help it blend in better. I’ve been thinking about re-painting the wheel, but it’s hard to match colors (using rattle-can paint), so I may be as well off to keep the wheel black and dye the leather to match.

I need to correct my statement of “Singer spoked handwheel” that I posted above. This is an aftermarket handwheel, and not a genuine Singer-made wheel.

CD in Oklahoma