View Single Post
Old 12-24-2013, 05:36 AM
ThayerRags

Originally Posted by manicmike View Post
...... That hand crank doesn't go with that cabinet, so what a bonus! It matches the machine, so it's likely the machine was originally in one of those shallow bases.
....I picked up a 411g......
Hi Mike,

Actually, the handcrank may have come out with that cabinet. I’ve seen (photos of) other units set up this way, like maybe they were meant for dual-duty? In this particular treadle cabinet, the machine head is removed from the cabinet by simply pressing a metal tab and lifting the machine. No screws or bolts to mess with.

The head has feet underneath to allow it to set flat on a table top, so it conceivably could be removed from the treadle cabinet, placed on a table top in another room for use by hand, and then later placed back in the treadle for storage. It wouldn’t necessarily need a base, since storage protection would be provided by the treadle cabinet. Portability within a small space, if you will? I don’t know if this is the way it was marketed, but it could be used in that manner.

Congratulations on getting a 411G! I’ve had my eye out for a 401G or 411G, but I haven’t found one yet. My wife and I are definitely 401A fans, and I would love to get a treadle-able model in my collection.

CD in Oklahoma