View Single Post
Old 12-25-2013, 07:11 PM
n2scraplvr

Exclamation 9P Ziggy Scrappy That Zags Right

This is a zigzag pattern I call 9P because the blocks are put together just like a 9P. I did 13 of the zigs first and then realized I needed to do the zags also. I had to decide at that point how I wanted the ziggy to look so I decided to go with alternating the rows, just like a ziggy would do. It looked pretty interesting just doing the A blocks and not the B blocks. Row 1 are the A blocks and row 2 are the B blocks. If you only want to do the zig blocks for the whole quilt, I will show you a pic of how the quilt will look showing 3 blocks so you get the idea. It creates an elongated zigzag and there is much more movement in the quilt and it would be much easier!

I knew I could turn the block upside down to use it as my choice either to meet the darks or meet the lights, but didn't realize that I could only alternate the blocks with same or alternate rows only. I liked the look also without the zigs zagging normally, but that's another quilt at another time. Just trying to get through this one was enough!

The main reason I chose this pattern was the fact that I could use up 20" each of the coordinating fabrics without the block looking conspicuously so! I love that part most of all! It was fun playing with the fabrics and patterns and I love the graphic nature of this quilt. There's lots of I Spy in it too -- mermaids to motorcycles, sheep and fish and it'll make a nice charity quilt for children or adults. I love the way it turned out just like a zigzag (haha) and hope you are inspired too! This pattern will keep you awake and on your toes!!

The last pic shows it upside down and looks like a totally different quilt!
Attached Thumbnails 9p-ziggy.jpg   cu-1.jpg   cu-2.jpg   upside-down.jpg