View Single Post
Old 12-26-2013, 09:26 AM
janRN

Congrats, Kalama on getting Alabama done. It usually takes me about 5 hours per block--pretty intimidating when you know there are 50 of them to do! Some of them are much easier and take a little less time. Removing the paper is NOT as easy as she shows. I usually do that in the evenings when MrJanRn is asleep in the recliner, I mean he's watching tv (he says). I end up with little bits of paper all over the place.

What takes me the longest with these blocks is choosing colors. I'm doing scrappy, batik, no constant in any block. The colors look fine when I have them on my cutting table but when I sew them together sometimes they just don't work. This is why I don't pre-cut my fabric pieces (I hack and wack as I need a piece of fabric). Seems like I re-do the first section at least once before I settle on the right contrast. I have about 15 done (started last year) and if I could start over I'd use a constant for the background and do them 8" instead of 12". This quilt (if I ever finish it) is going to be huge; will probably end up as 2 smaller quilts.

I'm anxious to see what everyone comes up with color wise. Color is the most challenging part for me.