Old 12-27-2013, 09:01 PM
cricket_iscute

Originally Posted by snowrose View Post
Hi!

My current sewing machine is more machine than I want or need and eventually will consider a replacement, so will be curious to know if you have suggestions about a good all purpose-quilting machine without embroidery attachments.

Snowrose, I have used and tested many machines (well over 100; I am a sewing machine mechanic) for piecing, straight-line quilting, and free-motion quilting (fmq). I have 30 machines in my herd now, some computerized, many vintage. The one I would recommend for all three functions, above all other machines, is the Singer 301. It does each job and does it reliably and beautifully. The machine is bullet proof so long as you oil it every 8 hours of sewing and keep it clean. We have threads on this site that talk about favorite quilting machines, and the Singer 301 is often mentioned. You can get one for maybe $20 to $250 or so. If you have or can get a cabinet and cradle for it, get the short bed; else, get the long bed portable. It comes in black, mocha, and two-tone. It weighs 16 pounds and is great for taking to classes, too. It will last forever as it is made of metal. Mine handles literally any thread (except YLI). It is mechanical, not computerized. The Singer 301 is straight stitch only. If I could keep only one machine for quilting, that is the machine.

My second choice might be the Janome 8900, which I don't yet have. It has 11 inches of harp space and everyone I've heard of that has one -- they are new -- loves it. It costs 10 times or more than the 301 and has lots of fancy stitches. I've used the Janome 7700 and had a lot of trouble with it; I mention it because it also has an 11 inch harp.

Cricket

Last edited by cricket_iscute; 12-27-2013 at 09:20 PM.