Thread: Charity Quilts
View Single Post
Old 12-30-2013, 09:49 PM
cricket_iscute

I make between 20 and 60 charity quilts most years and give them to people in local shelters. Most of them are adult size, with maybe 10 percent being kid's quilts. I seldom birth a quilt; I have done it in the past but like either fold-over binding or modified traditional binding best. With fold-over binding, I trim the part of the back beyond the quilting to a uniform two inches, fold it barely under the quilt for the first fold, fold once more, and sew it down on the front with a decorative stitch. For the modified traditional quilting, I use three-inch strips on thick quilts, press down the middle after I've joined the strips, sew it on the back with raw edges meeting raw edges, and then sew it down with a decorative stitch. Having a Pfaff with that wonderful built-in walking foot helps a lot with this.

One thing I learned the hard way NOT to do: If I back a quilt with something heavy like wool, which I sometimes do because some shelters have no heat at night, I don't try a fold-over binding. It doesn't work very well and I have to fight with it a lot. From now on, I'll use a modified traditional binding on those, even if it is a cotton binding.