Old 12-31-2013, 01:47 PM
RedGarnet222
Power Poster

I have made many appliqued quilts. It is not hard, it just takes some time, like embroidery. There are a few ways to applique. There is reverse, a baking liner way that you wet the ends of the fabric with starch and iron it to the shiny side of the image you drew onto the baking liner sheet and either hand applique or blanket stitch sew the edges on while it is pinned onto the block or blanket stitch embroider it onto the block.

There is the steam a seam or heat and bond light that you copy the design onto the heat and bond then iron onto the back of your fabric as is or cut out the center to within a quarter inch of the edges and then iron on the pieces to the fabric. There is an applique iron sheet that you can assemble the prepared pieces onto the sheet and then peel it off and apply it them to the fabric block and then machine stitch it down. (Which is how I do many of mine now)
I think the Eleanor Burns book is very detailed with pictures and would be a big help to you learning how to do this the easiest way. Which is what you are asking for , right?

When I was beginning there wasn't anything like the heat and bond around. So I learned the needle-turn method. Which you cut out the shapes and turn the work at the edge and take a applique stitch as you go around the image.

I hope this helps.

Last edited by RedGarnet222; 12-31-2013 at 01:57 PM.