View Single Post
Old 01-01-2014, 05:17 AM
petthefabric

Originally Posted by Scraplady View Post
A lot depends on the reason I am making the quilt. If it is for a gift, I am careful but don't sweat too much because usually the recipient won't notice the mistakes anyway. As long as it presents itself well and is put together well, a few minor boo-boos don't bother me. If I'm making something to sell, I'm pickier, but again, the end buyer probably won't even recognize most of what I call mistakes. Now if I'm trying to learn a new technique, then I'm really picky because the whole point is to master what I'm learning.

I tend to be the hardest on myself when I'm making a quilt for ME because I know will see all of my mistakes every time I look at it. I know what will bother me, so I fix it. And there's something about finally getting it right that just really makes me happy. But I do it for me, not for anyone else, including the quilt police! And sometimes I never do get it quite exactly right. Then I just move on, maybe come back another day and try again, or maybe not. I don't let it get my knickers in a twist.
Very well said. I've come to realize I'm an artist, not a technician. If the technique gets in the way of enjoying what I'm quilting, the purpose of quilting is lost. I fix it if it affects the art. A friend agonizes over all quilt decisions and mistakes. Most of her show quilts win ribbons. However, she's realized she's tired of doing quilts to win ribbons. She wants to be more artistic. The current saying is "NO AGONIZING!"

I also leave pet hair on the floor until company is coming. It's just not high on my priority list.