View Single Post
Old 01-01-2014, 05:31 PM
CanoePam

Default Lap quilt for my daughter

My 22 year old daughter picked the fabrics for this one. It certainly was a series of problems, though I like the end result. First issue: I cut some of the pieces 1/4" too short! (Note to self: Do NOT cut fabric when you are tired!) Resolution: Make square blocks instead of the planned rectangular ones. Second issue: On about 1/4 of the blocks I didn't adjust the needle of my machine to get a real 1/4". (Note to self: Do NOT sew when you are tired!) Resolution: Take the larger count of blocks and use them (saving the others for a future baby quilt). This resulted in a smaller quilt than I had planned, but DD said it was fine. Third issue: the backing my daughter fell in love with didn't have enough on the bolt. Resolution: add an insert of some of those off-size blocks. (I as awake for this one!)

The colors are more intense than they appear. The turquoise is very bright, and the pink is very intense.

I used an 80/20 cotton/poly batting I got on sale at Joann's a while back, and it is puffier than the 100% cotton I usually use. My DD likes it which is the only thing that matters

Pam