View Single Post
Old 01-01-2014, 08:23 PM
ArchaicArcane

Originally Posted by Iamquilter View Post
I was asked to make these bowls for someone for Christmas, but did not make any for myself because of all the concerns about fires, what ever happened to using pot holders to remove the bowls or plates from the microwave? That's what I use.
I like the idea of a "cradle" for the bowl, because I'm a natural born Klutz and have developed an occasional tremor that doesn't like to give me advanced warning.. It's also nice to have something that keeps the bowl a touch warmer longer.

Originally Posted by ManiacQuilter2 View Post
I always knew that Warm and Natural really wasn't 100% cotton since it had a scrim in it. I know my best friend made me one of them using her W&N scraps. I have yet to use the bowl but I do have a low watt microwave, has a turntable and I don't microwave soup or chili longer than 3 minutes. The reason I want to use it instead of potholders is I have very poor motor coordination. I totally understand why some may not understand why this is such a helpful item because you can't even imagine what can happen to someone until it eventually will happen to you in old age or unfortunately before then.
I'm always surprised by the companies that say their product -is- 100% cotton when it has scrim. Arctic White won't be getting my business again for that little "trick". They also didn't respond when I emailed them to let them know that I wasn't amused. Strike 2.

I think the "risk free" way to use it would be to nuke the soup, open the door, put the fabric bowl right in front of the turntable and put the hot bowl into it (using a potholder of course). That's what I'm going to do.