Old 01-01-2014, 08:36 PM
Cre8tvlwyr

Welcome QNS!! I have both the software and the book. I'm not exactly sure what or how you were trying to print out lists. What I will say however is that you can print out the schedule that I made in the first post of this thread. I integrated Brenda's difficulty chart into the list and tried to make it "beginner heavy" the first few weeks. I took the advice of "Janiacs" who had been in a prior DJ thread on the QB a few years ago who wanted to be able to "see" their progress a little better than the previous schedule had given them, so the schedule roughly goes fro row A to M with tris scattered throughout the 18 months.

At any rate - the schedule will show green for beginners and red for advanced, as Brenda did. You may or may not want to follow the schedule if you are doing a BOM with a quilt shop but this will at least give you a visual on the difficulty.

Book vs Software... I only printed the software patterns a few times, primarily because I hate wasting paper and ink I guess! I am mathematical and intuitive, so I usually will look at a block and figure out the most economical way to cut parts. I think paper piecing is very precise, however, tearing away itty bitty pieces of paper is not my thing, so I only do this when absolutely necessary. [I guess I'm giving an anti-printing from software reason for me.... not everyone thinks so though! You have to find what works for you.] I normally will examine a block to see if it has half-square triangles or flying geese sections, I measure parts to a block carefully and strip pieces together whenever I can. Where I have found an easy way for me, I have attempted to share it with the group. I am compiling a list of post numbers of these pointers from me as well as others that will be useful to future janiacs.

Software advantages...
-- not all book sketches match the original Jane, but the software has variations on many of the blocks and many times the pattern for the original is actually a variation.
-- there is a chart in the software where you can import photos of all of your finished blocks to see what your quilt will look like
-- the software is similar to EQ, you can look at a block in Jane and test different fabrics or colors to decide how you want to put a block together.

I'm going far off track ....kooky me! I probably answered none of your questions, but I will be around to answer them once you begin!
Have fun
Gus