View Single Post
Old 01-02-2014, 05:26 PM
maviskw

Originally Posted by crocee View Post
Even though I was using Sharon's video as a guide I still had problems when it came to the joining of the ends. I sewed them wrong 3 times before I went to chat and got some more help. This is the video I was directed to, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aUEy9NXOK5c It shows clear and concise up close instructions that I followed easily. Picking out those itty bitty stitches was a pain and I'm glad to report that the binding is on and all that's left is to hand stitch the binding to the back. I've had a lot of fun making this quilt and have learned a huge amount from this board of awesome quilters.
I liked this method better than Sharon's, but I do a little more to make it accurate. No measuring. To begin, I fold a triangle into the beginning end and press very well. Then fold in half as usual and sew binding on, starting 6 to 8 inches from that triangle. When you reach the end, stop 6 to 8 inches from the tip of the triangle. Pin binding well as you want it to be sewn. Overlap end over beginning triangle and cut the end tail at the base of the triangle. That spot shows exactly the width of the binding strip. Now your two ends are overlapped exactly as far as the binding strip is wide. Pick up ends, place right sides together, twist to a right angle and sew on the pressed line. Then I finger press the seam open before I trim. It's a lot easier when you have more fabric to grab onto. Then trim. Fold it back where it belongs, and you have the perfect join.

Good Luck!