Thread: jasmine
View Single Post
Old 12-10-2009, 09:43 AM
k3n
Power Poster

Originally Posted by GryffinSong
As to prejudice, as I understand it, European countries consider racing dogs to be hunters, and require them to be muzzled in public. Perhaps they still train them on live game? I don't know. But I have heard that there are restrictions on them. I've met many greyhounds with a very strong prey drive, whom I would not trust with cats. And I've met many who are gentle as lambs. It just depends on the individual dog.
The hunting dogs that the French use here in the countryside are kept in pens or paddocks (if they're lucky) when not hunting, but when they are, they pretty much run wild. The French don't believe in training them much as they think it surpresses their natural instincts. They're used to drive the game onto the guns. We've picked them up lost on the road a few times and called the owner (the number is always on the collar). Having said that, I've never met a mean one. Next time I'm chatting with French locals, I'll ask their opinion on greyhounds. I do know it's actually illegal to hunt at all here with that kind of breed - I guess they're too good at it!

:-D