Thread: pinwheels??
View Single Post
Old 01-04-2014, 05:29 AM
kristakz

For any block that has potential to flip when I sew it (swoon was a good example), I lay out all the pieces (usually 3-4 blocks stacked, but even if it's just one) on a large square ruler. Then I can carry that to my sewing machine, and pick the pieces up carefully two at a time. I usually fliip one over the other, but a thumb & finger around the edge I am going to sew, and transfer it the few inches to my machine that way.
Even then, I do occasionally manage to flip one, but it happens way less when I do this.

I also chain the segments of a block together. So for example if I am sewing a 9-patch, I lay it out beside my machine. Then I flip the middle row over the left row, one piece at a time. Sew from top to bottom of the pieces for the top row. Then, without cutting thread, sew top to bottom on the seam for the center row, and again for the bottom row. Now cut the thread and you have a chain of 3 segements - top, middle, bottom of you block in the right order and orientation (if you didn't flip anything). Now lay that back down beside the remaining 3 pieces to check. Now sew the final pieces to the right edge of this chain - again chaining the 3, and you'll have a whole 9-patch held together by strings. Press carefully, sew the rows together, and you have an un-flipped block.

Last edited by kristakz; 01-04-2014 at 05:33 AM.