View Single Post
Old 01-04-2014, 03:18 PM
zozee

The timer is my best friend! I recently cleaned my sewing room (which is also my fabric room, but i don't have much fabric since I'm a newbie).

Here's my 2 cents' worth for a plan:

1. Start with an empty trash can.
2. Get yourself a big box for giveaway/donate. (I wouldn't bother separating those categories.)
3. Get another big box for Keep.
4 Set your timer for 15 minutes and don't stop moving till it beeps.

5. For the first 15 minutes, clear off your cutting table--just CLEAR IT, don't organize anything except to dump obvious trash. Don't overthink what's trash, either! Don't get touchy-feely-warm-fuzzy about your stuff. The goal is to breathe and to create again. Can't do that in a mess.

Seeing a clear surface is mentally invigorating. If you have time left after clearing your cutting table, give it a good wipe-down with something that smells good. You'll have not just a clear table but a CLEAN one to start sorting and folding things on.
'
Take a picture of your clear cutting table and call it success! Then treat yourself to doing something you enjoy doing. We can do this--I say "we" because my sewing room is always evolving, and is always a challenge to keep neat. I let it get to the overwhelming stage before Christmas but tackled 90% of it on New Year's Eve and Day. I feel so much lighter when I walk in there and my creative juices are really flowing now!