View Single Post
Old 01-04-2014, 11:16 PM
BETTY62

Default What thread should I be using?

I read a post earlier tonight having to do with the threads in a quilt deteriorating when it was washed. Now I'm worried that this may happen on some or all of the 10 quilts I have made in my quilting career. I haven't paid any attention to the type of thread that I have used to piece my tops. I have purchased my thread at places like a LQS, Walmart, Joanne's and other stores that sell fabric and I have based my purchase on nothing more than finding a color that will blend with the fabric I use in piecing my tops.

I use a rather small stitch when sewing my blocks together and send my quilts to a LA to be quilted. I attach the binding by machine turn it under and sew it down by hand using a slip stitch. I wash the quilts after I have sewn the binding on and so far I have not noticed my thread deteriorating. Should I make the people I gave the quilts to aware that they may start to fall apart when washed or say nothing and hope for the best?

And, to prevent this issue in the future, what should I look for in a thread? Is there a certain brand and weight that I should be using? Iis there other information about thread I need to know?

Thank you for reading my post and any advise you can give me will be greatly appreciated.