Old 01-05-2014, 04:13 AM
Pimperella

Default Finally made the plunge and started my first bed quilt!

After doing a few years collecting quilting books and studying quilting patterns, watching You Tube videos and trying to gather as many tips as I can. Plus collecting together my quilting equipment. Hubby got me an A1 cutting Mat and Fiskars Rotary cutter as part of my xmas gifts and so I really felt it was about time I actually made a start.
I have 2 Children and I decided long ago that the first quilts I make should be for them. We sat down and discussed what style and what colours they would like theirs to be. To not over burden myself I have chosen to do just 3 colours on each and to do Tumbling Blocks as they both rather like them.

My Daughter Alex (12) has picked Red, Purple and Black. My Son Beren (10) Green, Yellow and Black.

I don't know, as yet, whether they will be full Tumbling Blocks or Pyramid style or how the borders will go but we will just decide upon this when we get to the design wall stage after I have made a huge stack of 3 colour 'Cubes'.
I ended up staying up til 5am Cutting out Diamonds. So far I have a stack of 106 Red and 106 Purple.
Will cut the 106 Black when I get home (they will be 3 and a half inch Diamonds. On the sides not point to point). Don't know how many we will actually decide on having but I can always cut more if needed and if not then I'll have spares to make pillow covers but I'll more than likely cut more to make those anyhow if I don't have enough.

I haven't even considered how it will be quilted yet. I think that's most likely something that we can think about once I have the quilt tops finished. I am happy that the kids seem pleased that I have started them. I have chatted on so much about wanting to make them both quilts that they can pass down to their children. Once I finish the 2 Tumbling Block Quilts then I have to make them both a 'Geek' Quilt each. Alex wants something 'Dr Who' and Beren something 8-Bit Game Style.
I'm really excited now. Just hope I don't mess it up . I've made Curtains, Kids Clothes, Dog Coats & Beds, Goat and Horse Rugs, Custom Fleece Hats, LARPing Costumes and Cosplay etc but this is my first patchwork quilt. I give it a couple of days and I'll most likely be begging for help and advice! lol