View Single Post
Old 01-05-2014, 04:31 AM
Barb in Louisiana

I agree with everyone else, if you hold the thread between your hands and pull really hard and it breaks, then it is no good. Don't use it.

I use cotton thread of any kind, because I tend to use the highest setting on my iron so that I can set my seams quickly. I am afraid that I may leave the iron sitting on the seam thread too long and maybe melt polyester thread. I know several quilters who make beautiful quilts that use whatever they have on hand... polyester, cotton, silk. If it matches, they use it. Some of them don't set their seams and care little about the ironing. They do their own quilting and say after it's washed the first time, they all look alike. Not me....I press and set every seam. If I have a material that won't press easily, then I do use some steam.

I always have to keep in mind, that I am my own Quilt Police. I make mostly utility quilts. I want mine used and if they are used, then they have to be washed. I tell those I give them too, treat them like any washable bedspread. Wash in cold water and dry on permanent press. I've had no problems so far with seams coming out or tearing apart, but maybe, I've just been lucky. Probably not. I use new thread, even though I have some 30 and 40 year old spools hanging around.

Last edited by Barb in Louisiana; 01-05-2014 at 04:35 AM.