View Single Post
Old 01-05-2014, 11:32 AM
Sunflowerzz

Default My first 2014 Thrift Store Escapade

Hubby and I wanted a "play Day" on Friday 3rd. We start by going out for our favorite breakfast, then go to our favorite stores and thrift shops and flea markets. The first flea market yielded nothing. The second flea market we picked up a nice oil painting, pair of earrings, hand carved African animal necklace circa 70's.

At the next shop I saw about 7 sewing machines without cases sitting outside but one had a plastic case and it looked 60's or maybe 70's to me. Was filthy as you can see in the photo but I decided to peek inside, nice looking machine so I bought it for $5.00. It is a Wards Signature J1277 prized for its buttonholing capabilities

At a third place we like to go I found an old manual typewriter. I know almost nothing about them but have decided to try my hand at writing and wanted a manual. Hubby said get an Olympia so there it was. $10.00 It has a neat wood case I plan to pretty up and it really needs cleaned, oiled, I need a manual, does this sound familiar? So I am off to find a typewriter forum so I can refurbish it, write books and become rich and famous!!!

We went to a new place but they were closing their doors and that was the last day they were open. They had a monster sewing desk, not a table but a big desk. Solid wood with maybe thin veneer? It weighed a ton. I offered her forty for the machine and all of the goodies in the desk and told her she could keep the desk because hubby and I had no way to lift it or move it around, Do you know she grabbed two male customers and her husband that was in the back of the shop and they loaded it into my truck!!
She said I have to have everything out tonight so it is yours now...
I really didn't want it. Hubby and I have no room for it, and it is still sitting in the back of the truck!
In it was a really nice Touch and Sew with lots of cams and drawers full of goodies like a slant walking foot, a new quilt calculator, and it was worth it for the machine and all of the drawer goodies but now I have that monster sewing desk in my truck. I really like the desk though, I have tried every which way I know to fit it into my home somwhere it but it just isn't going to work out.

If anyone can get up here today or tomorrow it's yours. You will need two gorillas and a baboon to move it. YES! it is that heavy. OR, Since I already have it in my truck if you pay for my gas I could meet you at Granzellas if you're coming from Sac or Bay area or Oregon I can go the other way and meet you in Weed. I will post pics of the desk in a reply to my OP

What a fun way to start the New Year and maybe pay it forward at the same time.
Attached Thumbnails img_5233.jpg   img_5234.jpg   img_5235.jpg   img_5237.jpg   img_5238.jpg