Thread: cutting fabric
View Single Post
Old 01-06-2014, 04:12 PM
GrannieAnnie

Originally Posted by mpspeedy2 View Post
I am a fan of tearing fabric. As quilters who are not necessarily garment sewers we often forget about straight of grain. It makes a real difference in having your fabric lay straight and true. I make a lot of charity pillowcase dresses from gently used sheets. It really annoys me that they are often not made on the straight of grain. I can use the hems already in the sheets if I cut or tear the fabric just right. Often if I tear it I discover that the decorative hem at the top of the sheet was not applied on the straight of grain as the part I tore almost never runs parallel. I worked for about a year in a shop that did custom dressmaking and alterations. I learned a lot there. Creating things taking into account the straight of grain makes a huge difference in the quality of the finished product.
I always tear across the WOF. I know of no other way to square up fabric. If the fabric was origianlly pressed crooked, I'll pull and pull the fabric sideways adn diagonally to get the threads straight again.

Many people would never, ever do this, But it works for me