Old 01-08-2014, 12:36 PM
quiltingcandy

One thing I remember growing up in Kansas during the winter, 1956 - 1961, my dad would not pull us on the sled behind the car. We thought he was the meanest man in town. Other kids did it, and they even got to ride in the back of pick-ups! We never did it, because we knew what would happen if we got caught. But we did drag our sled down to the church which was just a block away and sled down the hill behind the church. It kept us busy for hours. When I went back as an adult and saw the hill, I was amazed how low it was - it was so much bigger when I was 5.

And one winter when I was 6, I was walking to school and somehow ended up walking by myself do decided to take a short cut thru an alley. Long story short, there was a deep drift and I was stuck up to my arm pits and couldn't get out. The lady of the house came to my rescue. I was devastated not for being tuck but because we would pick her flowers that grew thru her chain link fence in the spring and summer. She had wonderful flower gardens that even as children we admired.