View Single Post
Old 01-12-2014, 02:12 PM
madamekelly

Originally Posted by maryb119 View Post
I am a seamstress at a bridal shop. I pin satin about every 3 inches. A walking foot will help if you have one. I have a Pfaff with IDT. Use a sharp needle. I don't like to use any kind of glue because I don't like the stiffness of it. Be sure to use a seam finish of some kind. I prefer a serger for the edges. Satin is not that hard to work with if you pin close enough and sew carefully.

maryb119 gave great advice. I once made a fancy dress western shirt, with piping, in satin, and this is what I learned. Remember to use a small, new, ball point needle. Work methodically. (Check off each step with a pencil so you can go back and erase when you finish, for next time.) Un-sewing in satin is just impossible to hide. If I am sewing a long seam, I put the pins in the seam allowance, end to end facing the pressing foot, so I can pull them as they reach the presser foot. No sliding if you also use the tissue trick. I have found that school glue stick is a wonderful tool with satin and leaves no residue. (Try it on a scrap and then rinse and dry to check for residue in the water in your area first.) Remember even experts do not sew fast on satin, but they do use it every day and so can you.

Last edited by madamekelly; 01-12-2014 at 02:17 PM.