View Single Post
Old 01-12-2014, 04:32 PM
Quilter 65

Thimblebug, that is awesome. I really like the asymmetrical center block. Very cool.

This isn't my center, but I wanted to share what I had learned here since I hadn't used the suggested borders for the first one. At Guild meeting last month, we were given 8 1/2' fabric pictures of Elvis. It was very wonky. I have pulled, stretched, taped, starched and pulled and starched some more. Finally got a somewhat straight edge and cut most of the black off and added my own black border since it needed to be 9 1/2" to grow it to the required 15" finished block. SO, then I auditioned fabrics, already knowing I wanted to do the 9-patch. It must be older fabric because the newer colors didn't work and I went digging. Found a couple and auditioned them. Didn't have enough for all four corners and probably a good thing. Thought it needed "opening up" as someone had said about my other center so went digging again for possibilities. Came up with a black that has ivy and red berries and a touch of gold. I thought it turned out pretty good for the challenge I had when I started. The inner black border might be a scootch wider in some places than in other places, but simply couldn't get it squared up any other way. So this is the finished 15 1/2 unfinished block that I am taking to Guild. Just wanted to share how I have already applied what I have seen and am learning on this border thing. Used the method that created two 9-patches at one time. I really like this method and seem to have better success at having the corners comply than I do when I use strip sets. So ta dah! Here is the finished Elvis:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]456239[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails 100_3780-small-.jpg