View Single Post
Old 01-12-2014, 11:08 PM
justflyingin

Originally Posted by PlanoDebbie View Post
If none of these kids have every used a sewing machine, I would have them just putting alternating blocks together. For my daughter's girl scout Silver award I taught our girls how to quilt as well. My girls were in 9th grade. Some of them had a tough time trying to sew a straight line, much less a consistent seam allowance.
I agree. Find fun fabrics if possible. Do a simple checkerboard or Rail fence, as someone suggested. If they've sewn before, a simple 9 patch would be great. Don't try to go too fancy because a poorly constructed fancy quilt doesn't look as good as a simple 2 patch which is better done.

And anyway, if you have "interesting" fabrics, that is what the kids care about--not the actual design. At least that has been my experience.

Yesterday I had a 6 yo ask for the puppies because that is what she saw on the fabric. The design was a simple "donation quilt style" (if there is such a term). Have you seen something like this?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]456304[/ATTACH]

This wasn't the same quilt she chose, but this was the pattern. I originally found it the pattern here:

http://www.maryquilts.com/quick-strippie/
Attached Thumbnails 13-simply-kids.jpg  

Last edited by justflyingin; 01-12-2014 at 11:23 PM.