Old 01-13-2014, 06:23 AM
Gerbie

I don't know if there is an official block for each state but would love to get the pattern if there is. I have the Carol Doak Book 50 Fab. Stars that I am using for my US quilt.
Several years ago I found an old pattern that I think was my grandmothers, as it was with some of her things I have. Anyway, it has the shape of each of the 50 states, the State name, date state entered the Union, state bird pic. and state flower pic. inside the outline of each state. I decided I wanted to use crayons to do this quilt, then outline each part on the sewing machine. I have each block done of the 50 states, machine outlined colored etc. and added extra batting to the back of the birds and flowers to make them stand out more. When I found Carol's book I decided to make my quilt reversible, using her star pattern for each state and coloring it with crayons, then outlining it with the machine also. I have most of the stars finished. Each star will be behind the state it goes with, then in the center of the back of the quilt I will have the map of the US outlined which I have finished. Naturally I'm not through with the quilt yet, but I am about 3/4 finished. It is very time consuming and I put it aside to work on other projects from time to time.