View Single Post
Old 01-13-2014, 09:08 AM
LynnVT

I got a demo Sweet 17 from a local dealer and just love it. Factors in the decision - I took a class from her in using a standup longarm first and really hated it. You need a HUGE amount of space for that rod contraption, while the S16, with its table can fit in a reasonable amount of space. I simply cannot stand for hours on end. I don't like to be so far away from what I'm working on, and find directing the huge machine is very stressfu. Sitting with my quilt and moving it around under the needle just feels like a normal process to me. Driving with handles does not. Although it cost several thousand dollars, it was nothing like the huge cost of a longarm. So consider all these things first, and try out everything you can before you decide. I know too many people who thought they needed a longarm and now don't use them. Although my machine accommodates the stitch regulator I did not buy it because it cost too much more and frankly, I've had two experts I met at quilt shows selling them, admit that they really aren't necessary. I didn't like worrying about that thing moving around under my quilt and having to be sure I didn't let it fall off on the floor. Good luck in your quest.