View Single Post
Old 01-14-2014, 06:13 AM
crashnquilt

You might try washing the quilt a few times with COLOR CATCHERS in the wash. You can find them in the laundry section. Hopefully these will help. Yes, the term for dye that rubs off is CROCKING. No idea where that term came from. I am an avid prewasher and I use EPSOM SALTS in the wash. This really helps with difficult fabrics. If I have a fabric that I question to be difficult, I wash the fabric with EPSOM SALTS in the wash. BEFORE putting the fabric in the dryer I cut a small piece of the fabric and let it soak in a glass of hot water with DAWN liquid for about 30 minutes. If I still have dye in the water I wash again with some DAWN and EPSOM SALTS. Then I repeat my test. After the second test I decide if I want to continue with that fabric or not.
If the name of the manufacturer is on the selvedge I contact them about the fabric. Some manufacturers will replace the fabric or send you a certificate to purchase more fabric. If I am a good customer of the quilt shop where I bought the fabric I will contact them with the problem. The quilt shop is appreciative of feedback about fabrics and are usually more than willing to help with some kind of replacement.