View Single Post
Old 01-14-2014, 09:05 AM
michelleoc

Kiangel16 - can you not play with the tension on the 7700? Personally, If I can leave the tension alone, I'm happy. Tension issues have been my bugaboo since day one of quilting - that's the one thing that makes be take a break from sewing, so I don't throw the machine out the window!

Concerning BabyLock. I've never even considered them because 1) I thought BabyLock was a stupid name, and 2) I thought they only made sergers (I have GOT to start getting out more!). Well, after reading more of your thoughts last night and looking at the Crescendo...I ran downstairs and told my husband that I decided on a machine. He was happy because he's ready for me to move on, then I mentioned the machine and we said, "Sure, that'll be like $6,000. Hello? Let's rein it in a little, okay?" Well, the laser line to keep stitches straight and to set stitch width, sigh. And the pen that tells your machine where to stop?!? I was all over that. Invariably when I am appliqueing I go too far. Well, BabyLock is now on my list and the dealer nearby supposedly has them. So, here's my plan. I'm going to make a bunch of quilt sandwiches - cotton/cotton, cotton/flannel, flannel/flannel, cotton/fleece, flannel/fleece. Then Thursday, on my day off, I'm going to take my car in for an oil change (don't be jealous of my exciting life!) and wait for them to do the work (gives me a chance to do some reading), and then head over to the sewing store. My plan is to camp there and play with all the potential machines, hopefully making a decision so I can get back on track with finishing UFOs. Seriously, thank you so much, everyone, for your input. Please add more as you think of it. I've go til Thursday, after all! If this helps at all, I only do quilting, no clothes or anything else (except I'm currently making curtains, but that's a one-time thing. So here are the things that I can think of right offhand that I'm looking for.
1) quilting machine, 2) stop/go button (I'd REALLY like to be able to stop it with my foot, like my Pfaff does), adjustable speed, 3) don't have to fuss with tension, 4) holds a large cone of thread, 5) needle up/down that actually stays down when I want it to (my Pfaff, changes its mind periodically), 6) BIG harp for FMQ 7) automatic thread cutter (does it lock the stitches before it cuts? 8) separate motor for binding winding 8) good lighting, 9) built in needle threader (My Juki and my Pfaff have never worked right) 10) I really like my Pfaff low-bobbin warning. Nothing worse than sewing along and realize you ran out of bobbin thread 20 minutes ago! 11) is it easy to change the feet? 12) is it easy to clean? (that's what started this whole issue with my Pfaff!) thank you again!