Old 12-11-2009, 12:19 PM
Baren*eh*ked_canadian

Originally Posted by amma
Originally Posted by Baren*eh*ked_canadian
Our son will be named Alexandre Nicolas Lalonde :)

Sasha's name was originally supposed to be Alexandre, but a cousin of his, born in the weeks before was given that name... so they chose Sasha instead. I'm pretty sure Sasha is Russian for Alex, so it works out. Nicolas is the name of Sasha's twin brother, and our baby's godfather.
We decided since the very begininning that we didn't like hyphenated last names so our baby only carries his father's last name, all our children will.

Unfortunately in Quebec, a woman cannot take her husband's last name when she gets married. The laws here are stupid :evil:
What an awesome name!!! :D:D:D
I did no know that about names... Is there a reason they do not want you to take your husband's name?
Something about equal rights, or some garbage like that...
What about my right to choose to take my husband's name? Funny how the whole rest of the country and the whole rest of the world doesn't see it as being a problem.

Get this,citizen or non-citizen, if you marry outside of Quebec, when you move here they make you change all your ID back to your maiden name. Sasha's grandmother, who had been married forever had to change her drivers license, medicare card, passport... everything!

My mother was married here, under the old law before it changed in the early 80s. She still goes by her married name, but all the government papers, car registragion, bank papers are all under her maiden name... What a stupid government. Way to make everythign complicated!
I think the only way you can legally change your name here is if your name is in another language but in english or french it means something that you really don't want it to mean ( like, Mr. Arse, or something, could be a real name is some random language, but it means something totally different here).
OR, you have the same last name as a known criminal or something you REALLY don't want to be associated with. Even then they make you jump through hoops.