Old 12-11-2009, 02:31 PM
BlueChicken

Originally Posted by bearisgray
I like all of the blocks from the Dear Jane Christmas Swap. I learned something from every one of them.

Two of the blocks that I received sure raised the bar as far as I'm concerned for the blocks that I hope to make.

Alaskan Lady made B-2 - the one with the circle cut into eighths and G-1.

B-2 - The color choice is nice, the seams meet so nice and smooth along the rim of the circle, and it lays very flat. Notice the pressing on the back - the pressing has been alternated from towards the center and towards the edges on the wedges and then the other seams are pressed open. This makes for a nice, smooth block. Also, the seams are trimmed to the same width. The arcs are machine sewn - no puckers.

I haven't figured out how she assembled this - maybe she'll share?

G-1 - Also nice colors - a very soft, soothing look. The curved parts are hand appliqued to the edge pieces - notice the nice even stitches on the back. Also, notice the nice pressing and even trimming of the seams.

She had her sewing machine behaving well, too. The seams are laying nice and flat - her stitch length is appropriate - too long and the ends come apart - very short - and if one has to un-sew, it's a major challenge - and it's hard on the fabric

Don't know how she did this one, either.

They are just beautiful, Alaskan Lady.
Wow, they ARE amazing! C'mon AlaskanLady, share time! LOL What's your secret? The curved pieces are scaring me, I haven't done them before.